Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommended Movies
This should be a useful thread for anyone who likes to watch movies.  I've got a long list of favourites, but let's start with the most recent.

Obviously Joker.  Very well acted, superb attention to detail, great cinematography.  I liked the story too, and the character arouses some sympathy from the audience.

[Image: joker-trailer.jpg]

Midsommar

Creepy horror / psychological thriller. There is some blood and gore, but also a prevailing sense of disquiet.  It reminded me a little of "Kill List" - also recommended.

[Image: Florence-Pugh-Midsommar.jpg]

Now what's interesting about both of these movies is that they use large format cameras like the Alexa 65.  I briefly read up on this, and without knowing anything about it I noticed both of these movies had a distinct look and feel...Turns out they both used large format cameras..Check out this quote from the cinematographer on the Joker movie:

Quote:“We were often going to be quite close to Joaquin physically, in proximity, in his apartment in some of those scenes,” said Sher. “A camera three feet away from him, which also has a real psychological effect of connecting you to a character and feeling that sense of intimacy, but now we didn’t need to shoot it on a 21mm or a 24mm.”

The quote is from this linked article if you're interested.

I also love anything by S Craig Zahler.  Recent movies include dragged across concrete, Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99.  Of the three, I'd pick Brawl in cell block 99 if you haven't seen his movies before.

[Image: Brawl-in-Cell-Block-99-Review.jpg]
Brawl In Cell Block 99
Anything by Martin Scorcese, Christopher Nolan, Ari Aster or Denis Villeneuve.  

2 best movies by Villeneuve in my opinion : Sicario and Prisoners.  Prisoners is even more creepy than Midsommar.  Very atmospheric and disquieting.

Another one by Ari Aster to go along Midsommar : Hereditary.  Superb acting, unexpected ending, genuinely scary. 

[Image: hereditary-2.png]

Obviously there are also all the classics.  Anything by Michael Mann is great too. If you're a younger guy and you've never seen HEAT, then do watch it.

There are far too many to rabbit on about, but it's a start.  What are some great movies you would recommend?

Do you actually want to make progress with your goals : aesthetic, business, women, fitness?  Check out the Secret Society VIP Members Club.
Check it out
Dude - a great film is shot caller. Has anyone seen it? I loved how the character had to either sink or swim and got his shit together and moved forward.
After your vid on recommended movies, I watched Brawl in cell 99 a few times now and it's so amazing how a man does everything to provide and protect his family. Highly recommended
(10-21-2019, 09:22 PM)Ercument Wrote: After your vid on recommended movies, I watched Brawl in cell 99 a few times now and it's so amazing how a man does everything to provide and protect his family. Highly recommended

It's a fantastic movie.  But wait until you see Bone Tomahawk!  In my view that's slightly better.  Then check out dragged across concrete too.
Do you actually want to make progress with your goals : aesthetic, business, women, fitness?  Check out the Secret Society VIP Members Club.
Check it out
Intouchables (2011) - probably the best charming comedy/drama there is. Uplifting. 
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975), Amadeus (1984) - Absolute classics. Miloš Forman. Blend of US and EU cinematography, funny, precise, timeless message. And you can learn Mozart PUA skills or charm of “mad” Jack Nicholson.
Rush (2013) - basically “Krauser vs Jabba” in Formula 1 world.
Volhynia (2016) - if you are in the mood for brutal WWII movie where Nazis are the lesser evil. Raw.

Some not ultra popular but great TV series: Bron, Mindhunter, The Night Of, The Haunting of Hill House
I´m a fan of 80s movies and pop culture.
Nothing uplifts me more than watching the classics and hidden gems of that crazy and magic era of sex, drugs and rockn roll.

Here´s what I recommend:

Crocodile Dundee, Death Wish series, everything by Arnold and Stallone, Blade Runner, Back to the Future series, Indiana Jones series (total alpha!), No Retreat No Surrender, Robocop series, Big Trouble in Little China and all of the John Carpenter films.

I try to insulate myself from modern culture and stick to old school movies and series and, in fact, hold 80s action characters as inspiration for how to handle myself in life and approach girls.
(10-23-2019, 05:36 PM)Ayahuasquero_Brasileiro Wrote: I´m a fan of 80s movies and pop culture.
Nothing uplifts me more than watching the classics and hidden gems of that crazy and magic era of sex, drugs and rockn roll.

Here´s what I recommend:

Crocodile Dundee, Death Wish series, everything by Arnold and Stallone, Blade Runner, Back to the Future series, Indiana Jones series (total alpha!), No Retreat No Surrender, Robocop series, Big Trouble in Little China and all of the John Carpenter films.

I try to insulate myself from modern culture and stick to old school movies and series and, in fact, hold 80s action characters as inspiration for how to handle myself in life and approach girls.

I used to love Arnie movies back in the day. I recall I watched Predator about 5-6 times on a knackered old VCR. 

Re Indiana Jones, kind of went off it a bit posthumously after seeing the Owen Benjamin breakdown of Indie and his relationship with an underaged girl as portrayed in the film..Plus the stories of what Spielberg was up to.  Left a sour taste in my mouth.
Check it out
(10-24-2019, 03:48 AM)SteveJabba Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 05:36 PM)Ayahuasquero_Brasileiro Wrote: I´m a fan of 80s movies and pop culture.

Here´s what I recommend:

I used to love Arnie movies back in the day. I recall I watched Predator about 5-6 times on a knackered old VCR. 

Re Indiana Jones, kind of went off it a bit posthumously after seeing the Owen Benjamin breakdown of Indie and his relationship with an underaged girl as portrayed in the film..Plus the stories of what Spielberg was up to.  Left a sour taste in my mouth.

LOL, I´m not aware of these facts.  
I just meant to say I think they´re very fun movies and present a perfect picture of the cultural climate of that really fun and magic decade.
I think a very helpful movie for any daygamer is "Wolf of Wall Street." I reference that movie all the time whenever I open a girl who works in some kind of business job and it's a great attraction builder. "When I think of you in finance, I think of you and your office being just like the Wolf of Wall Street - surrounded by all the partying, booze, drugs, etc. I regret not studying finance in college. You look surprisingly sober for just getting off work"

Another helpful movie or TV show is "Sex and the City." I reference that movie/show all the time whenever a girl says she's a writer or journalist (the main character in Sex and the City is a writer).

Anyone else have any movies that are applicable to daygame?
Lufiend: Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Crazy Stupid Love, Alfie...
(10-26-2019, 04:52 AM)Lufiend Wrote: I think a very helpful movie for any daygamer is "Wolf of Wall Street." I reference that movie all the time whenever I open a girl who works in some kind of business job and it's a great attraction builder. "When I think of you in finance, I think of you and your office being just like the Wolf of Wall Street - surrounded by all the partying, booze, drugs, etc. I regret not studying finance in college. You look surprisingly sober for just getting off work"

Another helpful movie or TV show is "Sex and the City." I reference that movie/show all the time whenever a girl says she's a writer or journalist (the main character in Sex and the City is a writer).

Anyone else have any movies that are applicable to daygame?

Swingers - you're so money!

All knowledge is useful though - even if the movies isn't correlated with Game per se, you can still talk about it on dates etc.  Show some expertise, think about cinematography etc.  It also shows something of your personality and can be used to get her talking too.
Check it out
If you are looking for Joker-like characters, I recommend old movies directed by Werner Herzog, starring Klaus Kinski.

The best one would probably be Cobra Verde. If you like that one, go further to Aguirre the Wrath of God.
(10-26-2019, 09:17 AM)Andrew Wrote: Lufiend: Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Crazy Stupid Love, Alfie...

Thanks for the suggestion, I just watched Crazy Stupid Love. 

I couldn't help but to think that show writers just have little idea what it really takes to pick up women. Whenever shows present a guy who picks up women he always does so with so much ease that it is just so unrealistic. All he has to do is walk up to a woman, ask a bunch of questions, and then say "let's get out of here" and he gets the lay. If only it were so easy in reality. A guy might be able to do this if he's a 10 picking up a 5, but the SMVs were pretty even in the film.

Crazy Stupid Love isn't the only portrayal of this fantasy. "Californication" and "How I Met Your Mother" readily come to mind. Californication is even worse than Crazy Stupid Love - all guys do in Californication is just drive down the street and women throw their phone numbers at the guy.

I don't know if this is a good thing for entertainment purposes or a bad thing in that it sets unrealistic expectations for those without any experience in game. 
I didn't like the ending of Crazy, Stupid Love. And sure, it's entertainment. But the Steve Carell transformation was fun. This would be a good reality TV. Take a badly dressed guy with terrible haircut and grooming who has never been to the gym, and transform him including mindset.
Vicky Cristina Barcelona and Alfie are a little bit better for game. But no movie is really applicable. After all, these are made up cool dialogues and posturing.